At 2:35 PM +0000 11/5/07, Daniel Watts wrote:
Ed W wrote:
Religious wars about which is "best" aside - some mail clients seem to default to using "Sent Items" folder for saving sent mail, and others (many) default to "Sent".

Seems that in the interests of compatibility and "doing the right thing" (tm) that a symlink from one folder to the other name would ensure that either default would give the same result (in a mixed client setup)?

However, I wonder if someone has already written a plugin to do something simple like this? More generally I guess it's folder aliasing, so that Sent == Sent Items and perhaps there are also synonyms for Drafts/Templates?

Anyone got any thoughts on this simple idea? (The prob with sym links is a) creating them at mailbox setup time and b) what happens when someone tries to delete the folder...)

Cheers

Ed W

I agree it would be nice if the IMAP server could have an option to map a variety of folder names to a particular 'real' folder name. Not just Sent. I have also seen:

Trash vs Deleted Items

While we're making a list: 'Junk' vs. 'Junk E-mail' is a particular problematic case of client disagreement because some clients (e.g. Eudora, Outlook) work in ways that are Very Bad when they disagree on the final destination of probable spam.

--
Bill Cole [EMAIL PROTECTED]