On 11/21/17 5:20 AM, Someone wrote:

On Tue, 21/11/17, Jeff Kletsky <dove...@allycomm.com> wrote:
On 11/20/17 1:58 PM, Someone wrote:

  > I've been
struggling with this on and off for a while now.  Upon

attempting to install Dovecot on Ubuntu
17.04 I get the following errors

[...]

"Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l
to show in full."

I'm aware of that, yes.  Unfortunately I don't know how to tell any of
the myriad of package installers to "do the right thing" in such cases,

and, as stated, this is happening during installation.

  Without seeing the full messages, my guess is that you've got problems with
your IPv6 configuration or connectivity.
Entirely possible, since I don't have IPv6 and have completely disabled
it as a result.  Even were I to re-enable it, I don't see it would help
if problems with IPv6 connectivity would also be a problem (because I
don't have it).
Without the log information, you've made it nearly impossible to help you. The problem looks to be occurring in the execution of dovecot, not the install process.

While you may not have IPv6 connectivity, with the little information you've provided:

Oct 05 14:08:56 ash dovecot[8885]: Error: socket() failed: Address family n…ocol
Oct 05 14:08:56 ash dovecot[8885]: Error: service(imap-login): listen(::, 1…ocol
Oct 05 14:08:56 ash dovecot[8885]: master: Error: socket() failed: Address …ocol
Oct 05 14:08:56 ash dovecot[8885]: Fatal: Failed to start listeners

it is possible that dovecot is expecting to be able to connect over IPv6 and is
unable to do so.
"socket() failed: Address family" and "listen(::, " are strong hints of that.

If you have successfully disabled IPv6 (which, I believe, Ubuntu enables by
default) and dovecot is trying to listen on an IPv6 address, it is not
surprising that errors occur.

The output of 'ip addr' and 'sysctl -a | fgrep net.ipv6' would be helpful, as
would you examining the output of 'doveconf' to see if dovecot is trying to
listen on IPv6 addresses.

Jeff