Hi,
I'm trying to set up a production mail server. I have installed Dovecot on
Debian from the package. For authentication, I have another machine running
OpenLDAP, also installed on Debian. I would like the end mail client to
authenticate with Dovecot using the login and password set in LDAP.

In the LDAP-related configuration, I have:
auth_bind=yes
base = ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com
user_attrs =
mail=couriermaildir:~/Maildir,homeDirectory=/home/%d/%uid/,uidNumber=uid,gidNumber=gid
user_filter = (&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=%u))
pass_attrs = uid=user,userPassword=password,\
pass_filter = (&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=%u))

The LDAP user is entered as uid=u...@example.com. With the default
olcAccess permissions, it works and logs in correctly.

Here are my default olcAccess settings after installation:
# {1}mdb, config
dn: olcDatabase={1}mdb,cn=config
objectClass: olcDatabaseConfig
objectClass: olcMdbConfig
olcDatabase: {1}mdb
olcDbDirectory: /var/lib/ldap
olcSuffix: dc=example,dc=com
olcAccess: {0}to dn.children="ou=Idmaps,dc=example,dc=com"
attrs=userPassword,
 shadowLastChange,SambaLMPassword,SambaNTPassword by self write by
anonymous a
 uth by dn="cn=samba,dc=example,dc=com" write by
dn="cn=admin,dc=laktopol,dc=p
 l" write by * none
olcAccess: {1}to dn.subtree="ou=Idmaps,dc=example,dc=com" by self write by
dn=
 "cn=samba,dc=example,dc=com" write by dn="cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com"
write b
 y * read
olcAccess: {2}to dn.children="ou=Hosts,dc=example,dc=com"
attrs=userPassword,s
 hadowLastChange,SambaLMPassword,SambaNTPassword by self write by anonymous
au
 th by dn="cn=samba,dc=example,dc=com" write by
dn="cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com
 " write by * none
olcAccess: {3}to dn.subtree="ou=Hosts,dc=example,dc=com" by self write by
dn="
 cn=samba,dc=example,dc=com" write by dn="cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com" write
by
  * read
olcAccess: {4}to dn.children="ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com"
attrs=userPassword,s
 hadowLastChange,SambaLMPassword,SambaNTPassword by self write by anonymous
au
 th by dn="cn=samba,dc=example,dc=com" write by
dn="cn=nsspam,dc=laktopol,dc=p
 l" write by dn="cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com" write by * none
olcAccess: {5}to dn.children="ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com" by self write by
dn=
 "cn=samba,dc=example,dc=com" write by dn="cn=nsspam,dc=example,dc=com"
write
 by dn="cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com" write by * read
olcAccess: {6}to filter=(objectClass=sambaDomain) by
dn="cn=samba,dc=laktopol,
 dc=pl" write by dn="cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com" write by * read
olcAccess: {7}to dn.base="dc=example,dc=com" attrs=children by
dn="cn=samba,dc
 =laktopol,dc=pl" write by dn="cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com" write by * read
olcAccess: {8}to
attrs=userPassword,shadowLastChange,SambaLMPassword,SambaNTPa
 ssword by self write by anonymous auth by dn="cn=nsspam,dc=example,dc=com"
wr
 ite by dn="cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com" write by * none
olcAccess: {9}to attrs=shadowLastChange by self write by * read
olcAccess: {10} to * by * read

However, I am not satisfied with these settings because using the anonymous
user, anyone can browse the entire LDAP tree. While passwords are not
visible with anonymous login, user data in the LDAP domain is exposed.

If I change the last olcAccess entry from "olcAccess: {10} to * by * read"
to "olcAccess: {10} to * by anonymous auth," the anonymous user cannot
browse LDAP, but the mail client user also cannot log in.

What should be the correct configuration?
--
Andrzej