On 19-09-2023 22:36, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 9/19/23 16:34, Michael Grant wrote:

Thanks, I was hoping for something less complicated.  I found
   auth_username_format %n
which drops the domain if supplied.  Unfortunately my imap username
isn't 'mgrant'.  Probably i could make this work if there was no other
way.  This forces me to have my IMAP password the same as my unix
password.

I probably should move to virtual users for everyone on my box but
that's not so easy.  I was hoping there was some way i could translate
individual users which would make this transition easier.

You could have virtual users with any username (matching the required format for 'New Outlook') and password in an SQL passdb + userdb, and a second backend for the system users (PAM probably) as a fallback.

The docs describe this precise scenario at: https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/authentication/multiple_authentication_databases/

Regards,
Tom