Hi,

I am currently in the process of planning a new deployment of Dovecot. I was
planning to use mdbox or sdbox with “mail_attachment_fs = sis posix”, but I
stumbled across the following notice in the documentation for Dovecot 3.0
(https://doc.dovecot.org/3.0/settings/core/#core_setting-mail_attachment_fs):

> Changed in version 2.4.0 (CE): SIS is deprecated and writing of SIS files is
> disabled. Reading is supported for now, any missing SIS attachments are
> replaced with files filled with spaces.
>
> Changed in version 3.0.0 (Pro): SIS is deprecated and writing of SIS files is
> disabled. Reading is supported for now, any missing SIS attachments are
> replaced with files filled with spaces.

And  https://doc.dovecot.org/3.0/installation_guide/upgrading/from-2.3-to-3.0/
says:

> Saving new mails’ attachments via fs-sis is disabled, but reading SIS
> attachments is still supported. Missing SIS attachments are replaced with
> files filled with spaces.

What is not entirely clear from this comment is whether this only applied to
“sis posix” or also to “sis-queue posix”. Does anybody whether sis-queue is
also affected by this?

I saw that the notice was added to the dovecot/documentation Git repository in
April 2023, but I couldn’t find any further information there or the main
branch of the dovecot/core repository. Maybe, the code for 2.4 / 3.0 has not
made it into that branch or repository yet.

SIS sounds like a neat concept and I would like to use it, but obviously I do
not want to use a soon-to-be-deprecated feature in a completely new deployment.
So, does anybody know an alternative solution for attachment deduplication
(except file-system level deduplication)?

Thanks,
Sebastian