TL;DR If you are a Dovecot Community user, don't waste your time reading the
Dovecot Pro release notes.

To expand:

I think you have to understand that lots of things that are going into Dovecot
3 (Pro) will never see the light of day in the community edition.

In addition, Dovecot have publicly quite plainly announced in public that they
are actively removing all multi-server related functionality from Dovecot
Community.

I don't think the community has quite yet grasped it.  Things like dsync will
be GONE in the community version.

If you don't believe me, look at this video, about 15 minutes in:
https://youtu.be/s-JYrjCKshA?feature=shared&t=912