> the
> >> Do you know of anything that does this reliably?
> >>
> >> I tested a few years ago with ceph[1] but at that point there was some
> issues where it had a 2x write applification (on top of the 3x) if I
> remember correctly.
> > All of this is if not dead end will be a lots of complexity and
> inefficiency and a lot of waste of money. Only the application know how to
> things efficiently and with consistency.
>
> S3-compatible storage is very good for multi-server installations where you
> need redundancy, availability. S3 is basically HTTP server so you can code
> your own logic on stored emails, balancers, caches, deduplication,
> compression, encryption it does't need to be off-the-shelf storage.

The problem is a bit what everyone understands as s3. I associate this indeed
also with an http endpoint on object storage. But the ceph plugin skips this
http and talks directly to object store. I don't think you would like to
operate on this http level. If I look at this page of ceph[1], it also looks
like you do not want to get yourself involved in deduplication.

[1]
https://docs.ceph.com/en/reef/dev/deduplication/