Yes, you would need to use the dovecot submission server for this:

https://doc.dovecot.org/admin_manual/submission_server/

Most people, however, use their MTA's submission server but use dovecot for the authentication backend:

https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/howto/simple_virtual_install/#simple-virtual-install-smtp-auth

Peter