Hi Guys,

> > One thing we need to consider is that this change will
> > break a lot of aliases for a lot of people.
>
> I agree with John.  Let's don't break anything.  It's too
> easy to disable the searches, or use 'gg' as a prefix, or
> delete the searches if they aren't used.

I wasn't suggesting we outright dump them all. ;)

Wouldn't it be easy enough to change the existing searches and add a
'transition-aliases.txt' to the distro that included aliases for the
oldName=>newName conversion? That way people could simply opt to
include transitional search 'names' or not during install, and
delete/modify the file later if they were so inclined. In this way we
could avoid distributing common term searches in future releases but
also make "upgrades" easier. ("transition-aliases.txt" would have to
be the first aliases file to be parsed in order to work correctly)

IMO, we can't have it both ways: pushing to make searches without
using common terms and continuing to distribute them as "searches" in
our base install. I really think we ought to consider migrating away
from these searches and replacing them with alternative names.

Regarding appending "q" to searches - that was suggested as a possible
solution for searches that work well as common terms, but also avoids
the major rename headaches. I in no way suggest every search should be
renamed to include a "q", but rather, only those searches that a
meaningful and relevant shortened term is not reasonable. It's really
just a concern as simple as variable naming - I'm just proposing a
convention that would be acceptable for future 'common terms'
searches, or those existing ones that do not rename conveniently.

Regards,

Shawn K. Hall
http://ReliableAnswers.com/

    Cream rises to the top......but then, so does scum...