Kim -

I hadn't appreciated the DQSD architecture issues,
especially with it already being hosted by the taskbar
process. I've got to say that it amazes me that
there's not any clear way of addresing the issue.
Personally, I might go back to XP SP1 - SP2 has
crippled my digital radio and nobody's come up with a
workaround for that yet (heck... we were already
having to force Win2k USB drivers into XP, and SP2 has
just blown it away completely).

However, that doesn't address the bigger issue - DQSD
is a fantastic utility, and it would be terrible for
it to be made useless on all new machines, or at least
for it to require them to have registry hacks and for
annoying pop-ups to appear every time a favourite
search is called.

DQSD is the kind of application I want my dad to use
(and I think that he qualifies as an "average home
user"), but unless it comes with a nice installer that
requires absolutely no thought, doesn't do anything
that might cause concern (i.e. doesn't reduce the
security on his mahine) and works absolutely
seamlessly (i.e. doesn't give pop-up security
warnings), that's never going to happen. And if he
doesn't use it then there are millions of others who
similarly won't use it for exactly the same reasons.

I might have a hunt around to see if I can find any
useful people to talk to - searching around for info
on this previously, I found a couple of blogs from MS
developers working on SP2, and it might be worth at
least contacting them to see if they might be able to
help or give any pointers etc.

James