While the R-4B selectivity is stated as 4.8kHz, the skirts are relatively wide. The net result is very pleasant sounding AM. Now I didn't say "high fidelity AM" in which case you could say the R-4B falls short. The R-4C with the resistor jumper in the AM position will be better suited for that purpose. But let's be practical. After a while, 8kHz and the wide skirts of the roofing filter can get pretty tiring on a crowded band. That's why I got the 6kHz filter and let it go at that. Still, the R-4B is a good all around choice for AM reception.
-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tim Kass Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 8:31 PM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: [drakelist] Drake on AM The Drake 2B has a wide selectivity figure of 3.6 KC....the R4-A-B series has a wider selectivity, 4.8 KC and works very well for me on AM, the R4C has separate filters and you can buy them for even wider I believe...however, I like the R4-A-B series somewhat better, I believe the fidelity is better and the filters are just right ....good luck.. Tim K8WBL >From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] >Subject: [drakelist] Drake on AM >Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:34:01 EST > >A friend of mine is regressing (or progressing) back into AM and wants a >small footprint high quality AM receiver. He tried the Drake 2B and claims >it is a >bit too narrow bandwidth wise for good AM fidelity. Are there any of say >the >R-series that may have a bit better audio on AM? I had passed along >information that with AM a weak and fading signal will have an affect on >the audio so a >GOOD antenna is necessary too. Thanks > >Alan KB7MBI _________________________________________________________________ Groove on the latest from the hot new rock groups! Get downloads, videos, and more here. http://special.msn.com/entertainment/wiredformusic.armx ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Submissions: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: [EMAIL PROTECTED] - subscribe drakelist in body Unsubscribe: [EMAIL PROTECTED] - unsubscribe drakelist in body Hopelessly Lost: [EMAIL PROTECTED] - help in body of message Brought to you courtesy of TLCHost.net http://www.tlchost.net/ ---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Submissions: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: [EMAIL PROTECTED] - subscribe drakelist in body Unsubscribe: [EMAIL PROTECTED] - unsubscribe drakelist in body Hopelessly Lost: [EMAIL PROTECTED] - help in body of message Brought to you courtesy of TLCHost.net http://www.tlchost.net/ ----------------------------------------------------------------------

