"Leigh L. Klotz, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist
gang
Thanks Garey and Tom and others who responded.! I want to get the fan thing right before I make the support.

Tom, you might need to change the hint on your site about the fan. That's where I was following:

 http://www.zerobeat.net/drakelist/drakemod/drmod92.htm

which says: " The only place to mount a fan is on the back of the final cage....Orient the fan to blow in. "

Originally I had the fan on top pulling air out, but then I changed it to behind pushing air in. It seems to me that hot air ought to exit the top, since heat rises. Is pulling hot air out the back the right thing?
If so, I'll do it.

Right now I have the fan, which is a 110VAC muffin fan, just sitting right up against the rig. If I have it pull air out, I'm going to definitely have to attach it to the rig to make sure the air flows from the rig and not just from the surroundings. But I will still make it externally powered, I think.

73,
Leigh/WA5ZNU

Garey Barrell wrote:

Garey Barrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
Leigh -

First, you need to turn your fan around. Let it blow the air AWAY from the final cage instead of forcing all that hot air into the rest of the transceiver. The speaker with power supply is pretty heavy to sit on top of the TR-4 case. Best would be a U-shaped "bridge" to fit over the transceiver with a little clearance on either side. Leave at least an inch or so above the TR-4, more if possible, between the top of the cabinet and the bottom of the shelf. Again, with the fan blowing OUT you really only need clearance to allow air to be pulled in the sides. Best if the fan is mounted right on the back of the PA cage, the perforations can be lined up with fan mounting holes. Mine are only fastened at the top, with small rubber feet in the bottom holes to prevent vibration. A 3" muffin or computer fan works fine, you don't need a LOT of air, just something to force that hot air AWAY from the PA.

Drake 2-B, 4-B & C-Line Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Leigh L. Klotz, Jr. wrote:

"Leigh L. Klotz, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
I have a TR-4C and MS-4 and they've always been side-by-side, ever since my father upgraded from the TR3. My shack doesn't have as much room as his did (nor does his now -- he just has a K1!) and I'm looking at some way to arrange them to take up less space.

I've seen a few pictures of people with the MS-4 on top of the TR4 but that seems like it would invite heat problems. Is that the consensus?

I do have a muffin fan behind the rig and final cage (just placed there, not attached) and blowing air in and the final area seems to stay cool, but the rest of the rig seems to stay quite warm.

Does anybody have creative solutions in place for where to place the MS-4 and power supply when using a TR series?

The MS-4 isn't as deep as the transceiver, or else I'd put it under.

Has anybody built a shelf to put the MS-4 under the transceiver? Or any other creative solutions?

73,
Leigh/WA5ZNU