OK, here's one I haven't heard of before. I have an early TR7 on the
bench that I have installed the resistor in an empty filter slot to
fake an AM filter. I've never used this mod myself, since I've sprung
for the AM filter in my rigs. In tuning around and listening to AM
signals, I have observed that the "center" of the signal seems to tune
3 or 4 KHz below the dial reading for correct carrier frequency. That
is, the signal sounds best when off-tuned. I've checked this with local
longwave AM stations and various shortwave signals. A complete
frequency alignment has been done on the radio, as well as the IF tanks
checked for peak, so everything else is spot-on.

It seems like the only thing that could cause this is a skewed response
of the 48 MHz filter on the upconverter board. Has anyone seen this
before, or tried an alignment of the 48 MHz filter section? The service
manual clearly states this requires magic mojo that I don't have, and
not to touch it or my hair will fall out. I could possibly wrangle
access to a tracking generator if absolutely necessary, but it's
probably not a big deal. The owner doesn't do much AM, and it doesn't
seem to be detrimental to sideband operation. WDYT?

73

-Jim

--
Ham Radio NU0C
Lincoln, Nebraska, U.S.S.A.

"Give a man a URL, and he will learn for an hour; teach him to Google, and he
will learn for a lifetime."

http://radiojim.exofire.net
http://incolor.inetnebr.com/jshorney
http://www.nebraskaghosts.org