Jim -

I love my HAKKO 808. I've had it about three years or so, and it's hard to beat for PC board work. I still use a GC "Solder Aid", pointed probe on one end and slotted pin probe on the other that solder will not stick to, two or three sizes of "Soder-Wik" braid, and two sizes of "Solda-Pult" spring vacuum desoldering tool.

The HAKKO is terrific for desoldering "thru-hole" component leads, while the braid works better on surface mount, sometimes with the aid of a piece of #30 enameled wire, and the solder aid and spring vacuum desolderer is best for tube gear. All work well at what they do best.

Drake 2-B, 4-B, C-Line&  TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Jim Wagner wrote:
I have been looking for a good desoldering unit that works. I have looked at Hakko and Xytronics. Looking for options of what is a good solution.
Thanks to all who respond.