Loren -

It's highly unlikely that BOTH PTOs would develop the "jitters" at the same time, so the problem is probably elsewhere. Does this occur on ALL bands, in particular both 80M and 40M for example?

IF it appears on BOTH 80M and 40M, then my next suspect would be the contacts of relay K2. Does it appear on BOTH SSB and CW, or one or the other?

V1, the Band Oscillator tube, would be the next suspect, IF the problem appears on 40M, but NOT on 80M or 20M.

Lastly, how are you determining the instability? If you're listening to the Calibrator, confirm that it's NOT the Calibrator that is jittery!

Let us know!!

Drake 2-B, 4-B, C-Line&  TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Loren McCullough wrote:
What factors could contribute to frequency instability EXTERNAL to the PTO?

My TR-4C has just developed a "jittery" frequency, jumping back and forth around center freq by as much as 50Hz. I know someone (if not many) will refer me to the excellent articles on PTO rebuilds, but before someone does, let me say that I have rebuilt my internal PTO last year and it has been working flawlessly since then. I believe this is external to the PTO because I am seeing the same instability on both the internal PTO (rebuilt last year as stated previously) and also on the RV-4C PTO (factory original, but has always been stable, other than a heat induced drift issue mentioned in another thread).

Is this a Oscillator tube going bad, or some other component in the freq. chain?

Thanks,
Loren - WA3WZR