Hi Gang,

  Thanks for all the replies to my past message, but at this point in
time, I'm even more dumbfounded than ever. So far I have cleaned, and oiled
the
mechanical parts, installed a ground strap on the PTO, resoldered all the
ground wires inside. everything is free, and working as it should. Also, I
drilled another hole in the cover to stretch that angled spring giving more
tension.

  No avail, now I think it must be an electronic problem, as  sometimes,
when I try to tune a station, it warbles, sometimes while I am just  listening
hands off. vibration doesn't seem to change anything.
  Someone emailed me suggesting the zenner diode could be the culprit.  I
always thought most solid state devices either work, or don't work. Is it
possible that's the problem, or could it be somewhere else outside the  PTO?

   Thanks for reading this....................Tom,  WD8JPP