I think a 43 foot vertical (with sufficient radials) would make a decent antenna on 160 meters and an excellent antenna on 80, 40 and 30 meters.

On 20 meters the antenna is a bit more than 5/8 wavelength in length and a significant portion of the radiated RF will go nearly straight up and will not be reflected by the ionosphere due to the high angle. This gets worse as you go up in frequency.

Could you work people on 20 and above? Sure, but it would be on a secondary lobe as the primary and strongest lobe of RF will be "lost in space". Above 20 meters a 43 foot vertical is really a long wire pointed straight up.

The other issue is that the required antenna coupler should be mounted at the base of the antenna to be fully effective. Yes, an apparent match condition could be achieved by using a coupler in the shack but that apparent match only serves to make the rig happy. Considerable RF is burned off as heat in the mismatched coax run to the antenna.

It would also be interesting to measure the losses in the matching unun. If it's a ferrite or iron core those losses could be significant because UNUN's and BALUN's are not operating within their design spec if they are operating in an environment where the impedance is not purely resistive. RF transformers of this type are not meant to be used in reactive circuits.

In my opinion, the antenna manufactures do a disservice to the community by promoting vertical antennas that are longer than 5/8 wavelength. Yes, you can get a decent SWR if you use 150 feet of lossy coax and an in-shack coupler. Yes, you can get a decent match with a 3/4 wavelength antenna. But, having a decent match and a decent antenna system can be two very different animals.

OTOH, I applaud the use of non-resonant antenna designs. Being non-resonant makes for an easier job of impedance matching on harmonically related frequencies such as we enjoy in our HF spectrum.

If you are primarily interested in 160 through 30 meters then I'd say the 43' vertical would be a good choice. If you're primarily interested in 20 and above then I'd go with a shorter vertical. In either case, I'd do my impedance matching at the base of the antenna.

If you want all-band coverage and don't want to fool with an external coupler then I'd look at an all band vertical that has traps or stubs or variable length or *something* that makes the antenna a reasonable electrical height on the bands of interest..

Of course, this is all opinion and worth maybe a bit less than what you paid for it! ;-)

73,
-Doug, W7KF
 http://www.w7kf.com

Michael & Sue Trussell wrote:
The weather and old age have taken its toll on my old AV5 Cushcraft 5 band vertical antenna. I am considering a purchase of another all band MBVE-1UP 45 foot vertical by DX Engineering. Because I have been out of amateur radio for many years the technical knowledge that I thought knew about antennas and such has evolved so much by the various equipment manufactures that my knowledge base has become outdated somewhat. I need to stick with a vertical because of lack real estate and living in a city lot!

I would like some suggestions from you who have been keeping up on the art and technology to offer some suggestions on using an antenna like the above mentioned MBVE-1, with my Drake MN2700 antenna tuner. I would like to use all of the capacity of this antenna; I also understand that the capacity of the MN2700 is limited to the standard amateur radio frequencies. I would like to use the WARC bands that I now have the capacity to use with my TR7 along with the L4B amp just recently rebuilt. It works even better now with a new power supply.

Should I look for another tuner to use or purchase another MN2700 and attempt to modify it?

Any suggestion or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance

Michael J Trussell    KA8ASN