"Don's" - I was surprised recently as well when using my Weller 100/140 gun to
reattach the power switch leads on my L-4B....the gun just wouldn't get hot
enough to make a good solder joint.  For grins I fired up my Weller soldering
station and popped one of the larger size tips in, set it for 700 degrees and
that smaller tip made quick work of those connections....I didn't think that
thing had enough "umphh" but it sure did.

Moral of the story...don't underestimate your bench soldering station for
generating sufficient heat to make those larger connections....I think that tip
would do just fine under a Drake chassis for refitting caps.  BTW, I bought up
a whole set of Hayseed kits for all the Drake gear laying around here....now
all I have to do is find time to get them onto the bench for their surgery!

Dino KL0S