Hi Gang,

To those of you reading this who may still be in the "...contemplating" stages 
of somehow incorporating a cooling fan into their "C"-line rigs, allow me to 
share an experience that I just went through here this morning...

I am in the process (still!) of validating that my latest-and-greatest "fix" to 
the stability of my T-4X transmitter PTO  is, indeed, still valid---and so I 
had the set on, warming-up in the basement, where I'd venture forth every hour, 
or so, to check the frequency. About a half hour ago, I noticed that the top & 
side of the T-4X enclosure was VERY hot around the final PA cage inside---and 
so, for giggles, I plugged-in the wall wart that powers the small cooling fan 
that I had mounted awhile ago atop the enclosure just above the final PA 
tubes...

After feeling the blast of VERY warm air being driven upward from the rig by 
the fan, I got distracted with something in the receiver, and so focused upon 
that for a few minutes---and ONLY for a few minutes! I then felt the sides & 
top of the T-4X, and lo & behold, even I was surprised to note that it had now 
actually become almost COOL to the touch!

My fan is a small one, & was "liberated" from an old computer: it runs on 12 
VDC. I installed a series-dropping resistor in the "B+" wall wart lead to drop 
the voltage down to 10 VDC---and to quiet the thing down to a whisper. It blows 
the hot air up OUT of the cage, rather than down into it. Two small screws 
secure it to the top enclosure (they fit right through the conveniently 
pre-punched holes therein), and I used a plastic "chicken band" to secure the 
power lead from the wall wart onto the enclosure---a sort of "strain relief", 
if you will... 

If heat is the #1 culprit contributing to shortened life spans of electronics, 
a cooling fan will surely go a long way to adding years to the life expectancy 
of your rig's critical components! It's a no-brainer, IMHO...

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ



_______________________________________________
Drakelist mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.zerobeat.net/mailman/listinfo/drakelist

Reply via email to