Absolutely.  Not trimming replies is another reason I prefer top feeding.  
 
If I am going thru several posts on a thread, I'm already familiar with what 
the response is to and just want to read the response.  If I need to, I can 
always pan down and refer to it.
 
If I am responding to a particular line in a long post I will sometimes put 
that line at the top in italics just to let others know what part I am 
responding to.
 
Although I don't have a lot to contribute, I do spend some time in the 
archives.  Along Garey's thought, it is very difficult to find things in there 
when 1) they don't change the subject title when needed and 2) they don't keep 
the subject title thru the entire thread (problem being solved).  Otherwise 
there is some great reference in there.  I have certainly learned a few things 
from it.
 
God bless
73
jb
kg6biw
 


On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 16:34:03 -0700, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>
>     Note: do people on this list prefer top replies or 
>bottom?  I got a private e-mail asking me to change to top 
>posting so I am trying it.


It varies. In the dialup BBS scene where I cut my online teeth, bottom posting
was the standard. It also follows the flow of the conversation. Top posting is
lazinesss in some cases, but seems to have become the preferred method in the
business world because it creates a "paper trail". 

Whatever. You will never get any group of two or more people to agree on using
one method or the other. I just use what seems appropriate for the individual
message, depending on content and length of reply, and whether interleaving
makes sense.

More important IMO is I REALLY wish people would learn to trim replies and use
apostrophes correctly....


73

-Jim (don't even get me started on reading comprehension)
_______________________________________________
Drakelist mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.zerobeat.net/mailman/listinfo/drakelist

Reply via email to