> 1) Replace the lamp with a fresh one and wait for it to drift upward (that
> could buy you a year or many years).
> 2) Reduce the value of the dropping resistor and take a chance that the
> transistor won't break down under the extra voltage present.
> 3) Upgrade the transistor to a high voltage rating device and get rid of the
> dropping resistor entirely (permanent fix and what Drake should have done in
> my opinion).

As a "Hail Mary Pass," a fourth option may work as it did on my R-4B.  Simply
reverse the neon lamp leads.  When a DC voltage is used on a neon lamp, only
one pole is active with light.  For whatever reason, going to the unused pole
may cause re-establish proper firing.

Mine was intermittent at normal utility voltage (125V here in my area) but I
wanted to begin using CL-90 voltage dropping Thermistors to bring line voltage
down to 117V from 125V.  I couldn't get the neon lamp to fire at all with 117V,
but simply reversing the lamp leads allowed it to fire down to 110V.  I won't
even begin to try and explain the chemistry and physics that made it happen but
it's certainly worth a try.

Paul, W9AC