Hello all, I am embarrassed but most grateful for all the kindness and helpful
advice given to me.  Too many to thank individually but many many thanks to
all. The safety advice is taken very seriously and I will be ultra cautious
bearing in mind my inexperience. Already I am puzzled.  Astonished in fact.  A
most careful examination of every component in the AC4 and then the TR4,
magnifying glass and high power flashlight and what a lot under the TR4, shows
no sign of distress to any component!!  Clearly the bang came from somewhere, I
was not dreaming, so I guess it is time to carefully take some voltage
measurements from the AC4 as a first step. DamienG3XER