I always trouble shoot by swapping tubes...not using a tube tester.
73,
Lee

-----Original Message-----
From: Curt Nixon <cptc...@flash.net>
To: drakelist <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Tue, Oct 30, 2012 9:56 am
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] R4B S-meter drift

              Yep Ski..

    Both my A and B do this...interested in a fix shortcut...have not    really
spent any diagnostic time on it to date.

    Curt
    KU8L

    On 10/29/2012 10:54 PM, Fred or Ski wrote:

I have an R4B that in the last 5 or so          years has had what I think is
excessive drift in the S-meter          zero.  I saw a posting from Garey that
mentioned checking          and/or replacing V4 or V5.  I checked both and they
had good          emission and no shorts.  When I first turn on the radio, the
        meter reads around S-6 and works its way down to          eventually
near S-1 with no antenna.  It takes at least half          an hour to get to
the S-1 mark.  Also if I set the 'meter          zero' earlier that the half
hour, It will be off if the radio is left          on longer.  I suspect the
the meter should 'settle down'          faster than that.  Has anyone else
noticed this problem and          what did you do to correct it.   I didn't
replace the tubes,          and maybe that is my next step.

I appreciate any suggestions you might          have.

73,

Ski-WB8YXI