On Thu, 12 Sep 2019, Harry Wentland <hwent...@amd.com> wrote:
> On 2019-09-12 3:47 a.m., Ramalingam C wrote:
>> On 2019-09-09 at 15:54:50 +0000, Lakha, Bhawanpreet wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> This is regarding the recent hdcp content type patch that was merged into
>>> drm-misc.
>>> (https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/320958/?series=57233&rev=11)
>>>
>>> There are displays on the market that advertise HDCP 2.2 support and will
>>> pass authentication and encryption but will then show a
>>> corrupted/blue/black screen (the driver cannot detect this). These displays
>>> work with HDCP 1.4 without any issues. Due to the large number of
>>> HDCP-supporting devices on the market we might not be able to catch them
>>> with a blacklist.
>>>
>>> From the user modes perspective, HDCP1.4 and HDCP2.2 Type0 are the same
>>> thing. Meaning that this interface doesn't allow us to force the hdcp
>>> version. Due to the problems mentioned above we might want to expose the
>>> ability for a user to force an HDCP downgrade to a certain level (e.g. 1.4)
>>> in case they experience problems.
>>>
>>> What are your thoughts? and what would be a good way to deal with it?
>> Hi,
>>
>> As you mentioned, uAPI is designed to be HDCP version agnostic. Kernel
>> supposed to exercise the highest version of HDCP supported on panel and
>> platform.
>>
>> As we implement the HDCP spec support, if a device is non-compliant with
>> HDCP spec after completing the HDCP authentication, I dont think we need
>> to worry about it.
>>

> Tell that to our (or your) customers.

Agreed, let's rather not.

> In this case an enduser might plug in a bad monitor or TV and be unable
> to play protected content.
>
> What if we add a new enum value to the content_type property that says
> "DRM_MODE_HDCP_CONTENT_TYPE_FORCE_14"?

In general, I think if the fix is to teach the user to jump through
hoops in case the output is not working, it is really not a fix.

Would, say, a set top box or a Blu-ray player have a setting to force
HDCP 1.4, and a troubleshooting item in the manual to select that if the
display does not work? Or would OS X have that?

If broken HDCP 2.2 sink support is a widespread problem (is it?), what
do other HDCP sources do? If it's a Linux issue, what are we doing wrong
or different?

BR,
Jani.