On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 1:17 AM <max...@cerno.tech> wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 08:48:15AM -0700, Rob Clark wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 5:43 AM <max...@cerno.tech> wrote:
> > > I've discussing the idea for the past year to add an IGT test suite that
> > > all well-behaved KMS drivers must pass.
> > >
> > > The main idea behind it comes from v4l2-compliance and cec-compliance,
> > > that are being used to validate that the drivers are sane.
> > >
> > > We should probably start building up the test list, and eventually
> > > mandate that all tests pass for all the new KMS drivers we would merge
> > > in the kernel, and be run by KCi or similar.
> >
> > Let's get https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/502641/ merged
> > first, that already gives us a mechanism similar to what we use in
> > mesa to track pass/fail/flake
>
> I'm not sure it's a dependency per-se, and I believe both can (and
> should) happen separately.

Basically my reasoning is that getting IGT green is a process that so
far is consisting of equal parts IGT test fixes, to clear out
lingering i915'isms, etc, and driver fixes.  Yes, you could do this
manually but the drm/ci approach seems like it would make it easier to
track, so it is easier to see what tests are being run on which hw,
and what the pass/fail/flake status is.  And the expectation files can
also be updated as we uprev the igt version being used in CI.

I could be biased by how CI has been deployed (IMHO, successfully) in
mesa.. my experience there doesn't make me see any value in a
"mustpass" list.  But does make me see value in automating and
tracking status.  Obviously we want all the tests to pass, but getting
there is going to be a process.  Tracking that progress is the thing
that is useful now.

BR,
-R