Hi Laurent,

Thank you for taking the time.  Two of the three points came from the v1
posting, one of them is a real miss on my side, and there is a fourth
thing I should have found before posting at all -- I get to that below.

The message you replied to is the 09-15 posting.  v3 went out on 09-16:

  <[email protected]>

and it rewrote the commit message to give the rationale you are missing:
why "ti,tpd12s016" can only be a fallback of "ti,tpd12s015" (the driver
matches on "ti,tpd12s015" alone, so a board using the 016 has to list
both), and why gpios has to take three to five entries.  The v2 version
of that description had capped gpios at three, which broke dtbs_check for
omap5-igep0050.dts -- that board passes the three control/HPD lines plus
the DDC SCL and SDA lines.  Rob Herring gave v3 his Reviewed-by on 09-24.

The Assisted-by tag is a fair hit, and it applies to v3 as well: v3 does
not carry one either.  That is my oversight and I will add it.

Your third point also stands for v3.  The conversion and the gpios
semantics change are still one patch.  Splitting them is right.

Now the part I should have caught myself.  This conversion is not new
work.  Eduard Bostina posted the same conversion on 2026-07-30:

  <[email protected]>

That series makes the same two binding changes -- the "ti,tpd12s016"
fallback compatible and gpios up to five entries -- and its 2/2 renames
the same tpd12s015 endpoint nodes that mine does.  Rob reviewed it on
08-03.  It did not land: there is no ti,tpd12s015.yaml in mainline, v6.18,
v6.17 or linux-next, and the .txt is still in all of them.  I did not find
it before posting mine, and I have cc'd Eduard here.

I would rather ask than add a fourth revision to the pile.  Which would
you prefer:

  - a v4 of mine, split into a pure conversion plus a separate semantics
    patch, or
  - for me to drop mine and leave this to Eduard's series?

Either way I will not repost the current form.  If there is a reason the
Bostina series stalled that I should not repeat, I would be glad to hear
it.

Thanks,
Chaosheng Qu

Reply via email to