On Wed, Sep 30, 2026 at 3:04 AM Maxime Ripard <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 05:28:22PM -0500, Rob Herring wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 10:39:24AM +0200, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> > > On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 03:40:59PM -0500, Rob Herring wrote:
> > > > On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 06:22:01PM +0200, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> > > > > Most MIPI-DSI panel drivers follow an identical pattern: acquire
> > > > > regulators and GPIOs, perform a reset pulse with specific timing,
> > > > > send a vendor-supplied sequence of DSI commands, then enable the
> > > > > display. The only truly panel-specific part is the init sequence
> > > > > and power-on/off timing.

[snip a bunch of irrelevant shit]

> > > So, let's phrase this differently: what's different about the
> > > description than panel-mipi-dsi-spi, or any other binding already in
> > > tree?
> >
> > There's all of 3 panels supported. Compared to all the other panels we
> > have, hardly the rule over the exception. You can always fine "bad"
> > examples or exceptions.
> >
> > That one defines a single supply. Any other MIPI SPI panel with
> > different supplies or GPIO controls probably has its own binding. Trying
> > to parameterize that in DT doesn't work. We've rejected trying to do
> > that in DT over and over. What's your story here for that?
>
> Sigh... Look, I really don't care about an argument DT maintainers use
> at their discretion for this. We both know full well that it's been and
> still is inconsistenly applied, and you also know that it's not like
> I've been playing the DT game since pretty much the beginning (on ARM
> anyway). So it's not like I don't want to make it work, I do. But what I
> care about is enabling that driver to work.
>
> I reused exactly the same binding than the last major binding that was
> merged for panels, and support about the same number of panels. I guess
> that was a mistake, so sorry for that.
>
> I'm fine with reworking the binding any way you want as long as it still
> allows for the same use-case, but I would have hoped for a better
> feedback on how to do so than "oh what a huge pile of shit this is".

When you can answer my question above rather than make up shit I
didn't say, maybe I'll reply again on this thread. Otherwise I'm done
here. I don't need this abuse for the thankless job of DT
maintainership.

Rob

Reply via email to