On Wed, Oct 07, 2026 at 09:32:27AM +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote: > On Tue, Oct 06, 2026 at 03:49:47PM -0500, Bjorn Helgaas wrote: > > On Thu, Oct 01, 2026 at 02:55:10PM +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote: > > > From: Leon Romanovsky <[email protected]> > > > > > > pci_bridge_has_acs_redir() treats Request and Completion Redirect as > > > interchangeable. On asymmetric fabrics, a control for only the reverse TLP > > > direction can unnecessarily force P2PDMA through the host bridge. > > > > Does "the reverse TLP direction" refer to Completions? > > In general, the P2P code treats TLPs flowing from device A to device B the > same as TLPs flowing from device B to device A. > > However, in the context of this commit message, yes: completions flow in the > opposite direction from the device's perspective.
And I guess asymmetric fabrics must mean fabrics where Request Redirect and Completion Redirect are not set the same way? > > > Evaluate Request Redirect for client Requests and Completion Redirect for > > > provider read Completions. Continue treating enabled Egress Control > > > conservatively as a Request redirect. > > > > Completion Redirect is intended to avoid ordering rule violations > > between Completions and Requests when Requests are redirected (PCIe > > r7.0, sec 6.12.1.1). I assume this patch preserves the ordering rule, > > but does the commit log need to say something about that? I don't > > know enough about P2P DMA for it to be obvious to me. > > I don't think so, i didn't change anything related to ordering. I don't think there's anything in this whole series that changes any ACS settings, so I shouldn't have wondered about *preserving* the ordering rule. But I asked about ordering because it sounds like this patch expects to encounter asymmetric fabrics where Request Redirect and Completion Redirect may not be set the same way, and the spec implies that asymmetry may result in ordering violations. > > Not really a question for this series, but p2pdma.c and p2pdma.rst > > refer to "clients" and "providers", neither of which are mentioned in > > the PCIe spec. In this case it sounds like a client is a Requester > > and a provider is a Completer in spec terms. Is that always the case? > > If so, "client" and "provider" in this paragraph are not adding any > > information. > > > > If "client" is not the same concept as "Requester" and "provider" not > > the same as "Completer", maybe p2pdma.rst could explain the > > difference? > > Client vs. provider are actual target vs. initiator. They express the > device role in the flow. I'd rather use "Requester" and "Completer" when possible because they have specific meanings in the PCI spec and they correspond to the ACS control bits. Client, provider, target, initiator are all from the outer world that makes use of PCIe constructs, but they don't mean anything inside the PCIe world. Bjorn
