Dan wrote:

> This does not look good for OpenGL / DRI.
> The article is not very specific though.
> I assume that xfree86 doesn't use anything affected by these patents,
> otherwise it wouldn't be able to carry it's current license. Is this
> correct?
> However The Register has some good points about what this means for
> OpenGL support from hardware manufacturers.
> Any comments?

Someone else asked for my comments yesterday, here's what I wrote.

------

Well, it's disappointing to hear that SGI is selling off still
more of its assets, especially to Microsoft.  It strikes me as
short-sighted thinking by SGI.

The consequences of Microsoft holding these patents is hard to
predict.  I don't know how many patents are involved nor the
nature of them, though I'd guess that they're hardware-centric.
That could be a big problem for the various hardware vendors if
Microsoft decides to take an offensive position with the patents.

I don't think I have anything to worry about with Mesa (at least
for now).  Most of the algorithms used in Mesa are very widely used
and have been around for a long time.  What would Microsoft have
to gain by going after me/Mesa?  Certainly not money.  The ill-will
they'd generate would only further tarnish their image.

As Mesa adopts newer graphics techniques (like vertex and frament-
level programming) I have to be mindful of stepping on other's
intellectual property, but that hasn't been a big deal so far.
NVIDIA, for example, was very agreeable when I asked for permission
to include their NV_vertex_program extension in Mesa.

Don't take my comments as gospel though.  I don't know what Microsoft's
up to and I'm not especially knowledgeable of patent issues.

-Brian