On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 10:08:54PM +1100, Dan wrote:
| http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/23708.html

Of course we don't know exactly which patents are involved, or what the
terms of the transfer were.  But my guess would be that the patents
primarily involve hardware, and Microsoft is interested in covering its
potential liabilities as it moves into the hardware market (though XBox,
Homestation or whatever it turns out to be, UltimateTV, and various
embedded systems).

It's unlikely to be a move to shut down OpenGL, because, frankly,
Microsoft no longer sees OpenGL as a threat in any of the markets
Microsoft cares about.

Allen