On 2002.04.13 04:36 Leif Delgass wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, José Fonseca wrote:
>
> Do we know for sure that pci gart is supported on mach64?  The rage 128
> and radeon drivers both write to PCI GART registers, but I don't see
> anything analogous in the Rage PRO docs.  My understanding is that to use
> the scatter/gather memory, the card has to implement it's own address
> translation table.  Your checkin adds allocation of scatter/gather
> memory, but can PCI mach64 use this memory?
>
> --
> Leif Delgass
> http://www.retinalburn.net

Is was unaware that the PCI GART operation required support from the
hardware. I assumed it was an abstraction layer, but after googling around
I saw it's not. (I confess I was rather naive in this issue as a GART
allows to make a disperse segments of physical memory as a single
contiguous memory for the cards - there had to be hw support in some end
for this to happen...)

I'm already working on the subject. I'm basing on the work of the gamma
driver, which is, as far as I can tell, the only existing DRI driver which
has non-GART PCI support, and it seems that there is no scatter/gather
memory allocation (which makes the whole process even simpler).

Note that this doesn't prevent people from testing DRI on mach64 PCI
cards. I'm still waiting for some feedback... or I'll start focusing on
other things! :)

BTW Leif, how are going the glean tests of mach64? I noticed you commited
a patch, but I ran glean on mach64 and there still are a bunch of errors
in blendFunc and logicOp. Since you're more in the subject could you give
me a brief update of the remaining problems and what may be causing them
so I can help?

Regards,

José Fonseca