Well, I've got most of the FreeBSD troubles straightened out I think.  I
went ahead and did some glxgears benchmarks, waiting for the numbers to
stabilize, of gentoo vs freebsd-current.

System is a 128MB 2xCeleron517 (BP6, OCed), diskless, booting gentoo or
-current off of a -current system.  Video at 1280x1024x60hz, 16 bit.

gentoo 1.1, kernel 2.4.19-gentoo-r5 (custom, p2 opts but nothing special
think)
bsd-3-0-0-branch as of a few days ago
kernel modules from bsd-3-0-0-branch from today
twm

FreeBSD-current as of a few days ago.
WITNESS and INVARIANTS disabled.
bsd-3-0-0-branch as of a few days ago
kernel modules from bsd-3-0-0-branch from today.
No wm (sshing in).

Radeon 64MB VIVO, no pageflip:
linux: 1325 fps
bsd:   1324

Rage 128 Pro:
linux: 581
bsd:   582

Matrox G400
linux: 923
bsd:   755

Only the Matrox had problems, don't know what that was.    Still, I'm
very excited about the Radeon numbers.

--
Eric Anholt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~eanholt/dri/