Keith Whitwell wrote:
  > Eric Anholt wrote:
  >
  >> Well, I've got most of the FreeBSD troubles straightened out I think.  I
  >> went ahead and did some glxgears benchmarks, waiting for the numbers to
  >> stabilize, of gentoo vs freebsd-current.
  >>
  >> System is a 128MB 2xCeleron517 (BP6, OCed), diskless, booting gentoo or
  >> -current off of a -current system.  Video at 1280x1024x60hz, 16 bit.
  >>
  >> gentoo 1.1, kernel 2.4.19-gentoo-r5 (custom, p2 opts but nothing special
  >> think)
  >> bsd-3-0-0-branch as of a few days ago
  >> kernel modules from bsd-3-0-0-branch from today
  >> twm
  >>
  >> FreeBSD-current as of a few days ago.
  >> WITNESS and INVARIANTS disabled.
  >> bsd-3-0-0-branch as of a few days ago
  >> kernel modules from bsd-3-0-0-branch from today.
  >> No wm (sshing in).
  >>
  >> Radeon 64MB VIVO, no pageflip:
  >> linux: 1325 fps
  >> bsd:   1324
  >>
  >> Rage 128 Pro:
  >> linux: 581
  >> bsd:   582
  >>
  >> Matrox G400
  >> linux: 923
  >> bsd:   755
  >>
  >> Only the Matrox had problems, don't know what that was.    Still, I'm
  >> very excited about the Radeon numbers.
  >

  > Nice.
  >
  > I'm just looking a little at the code, wonder if there can be some name
  > changes to simplify the macros a little.
  >
  > We're using DRM_ prefixes for os-abstractions already, like DRM_DEBUG,
  > so I don't think it's necessary to further specialize the namespace to
  > DRM_OS_

... (doh)

So, instead of DRM_OS_COPYFROMUSR_NC, maybe  DRM_COPY_FROM_USER_UNCHECKED
might be clearer.

Similarly, DRM_OS_KRNFROMUSR is pretty cryptic -- maybe
DRM_COPY_FROM_USER_IOCTL or something?

Oh, and I just found DRM_OS_FETCHU_32_NC -- that's ugly...  I

How about:

DRM_OS_COPYFROMUSR_NC
-- DRM_COPY_FROM_USER_UNCHECKED
DRM_OS_COPYFROMUSR      -- DRM_COPY_FROM_USER
DRM_OS_KRNFROMUSR       -- DRM_COPY_FROM_USER_IOCTL
DRM_OS_FETCHU_32_NC     -- DRM_GET_USER_UNCHECKED

and so on.

Keith