> A while ago I added the stuff to the config/cf/* to enable USE_SSE_ASM
> on FreeBSD, but today found that it wasn't enabled on my athlon.  I
> added the proper sysctl check for it, but it still wasn't enabled.  It
> turns out the Athlon's extended CPUID function has most of the same
> feature bits as the standard CPUID features function, but it doesn't
> ever enable the SSE bit.  I've made a patch that ORs in the bit from the
> standard function, enabling SSE on new Athlons.  It's attached.
>
> However, most of the demos I ran saw no improvement from this.  The
> exception was texcyl, which had an almost negligible but consistent
> improvement.  This is with a Radeon 7500, RADEON_NO_TCL=1.  Are there
> any demos in particular that would stress the code that's enabled with
> sse that isn't masked out by 3dnow (transforms of normals?)?  The total
> difference on texcyl between sse/3dnow and no sse/3dnow was on the order
> of 1%, so it was a poor benchmark to use.
IIRC the CPU must perform a state change to go from SSE to 3DNow! and vice
versa, so if you are testing with 3DNow! and SSE as appossed to comparing
SSE vs 3DNow! performance this could explain it.

I see someone has commented on the BIOS, I wouldnt have thought that would be
a problem but you never know. <g>

Liam
----
it depends