On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 06:43:32 +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Die, 2002-09-24 at 18:37, Alan Hourihane wrote:

> > > Alan,  do you have a feel for how this will affect XAA and offscreen
> > > pixmaps, pixmap caches, etc?
> > >
> > > My guess is that it will break them, but I live in hope...
> >
> > It might not break them, the pixmap cache gets cracked down via
> > the PutImage (or PutImage/CopyArea) path which gets passed
> > through to our ImageWrite/ScreenToScreen accelerator code.....
>
> But that's exactly the problem - XAA doesn't know about the different
> buffers so the coordinates will be wrong when we render to the 'back'
> buffer (the pixmap cache is always at a fixed location in the
> framebuffer).
>
> > Um, might have to remove that GXCOPY_ONLY flag on ImageWrites though.
>
> You mean NO_GXCOPY? That's only used in the MMIO code.

Yes. Oops.

> > But, the alternative path is...
> >
> > If we code up 'WriteBitmap' and 'WritePixmap' which deals with
> > pixmap cache loading and hook these into our _accel.c functions,
> > then we should be able to remove the pixmap cache flag called
> > LINEAR_FRAMEBUFFER. This is a more direct path and might be
> > slightly faster. That should do the trick if the above doesn't.
>
> That sounds interesting.
>
> But what about the source coordinates when XAA renders from the cache to
> the screen?

We can adjust the coordinates when we know we are rendering to the backbuffer
or frontbuffer.

But a better approach here, is to write both WritePixmapToCache and
WriteBitmapToCache functions which will be specific to the pixmap
cache handling and we can deal with the issue of detecting front/back
buffers here nicely.

Alan.