David Dawes wrote:
On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 04:02:49PM -0700, Brian Paul wrote:

Michel Dänzer wrote:

On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 23:21, Brian Paul wrote:

There are two places in radeon_ioctl.c where the INREG() macro is used to
read register values (RADEON_LAST_FRAME_REG and RADEON_LAST_CLEAR_REG).

It looks like these have been superceeded by drmCommandWriteRead() calls
(since the 11 July check-in of Tim Smith's changes).  INREG is probably
only used if the kernel module is too old to support the RADEON_LAST_-
CLEAR/FRAME queries.

It would be nice if those two instances of INREG() could be removed.

I suppose we need to keep them for the sake of users of older radeon.o
kernel modules.  Is there more to it than that?

I don't see any other reason, the registers are only read directly if
there's a problem with the ioctl. I know Eric used to frown at the idea
of using an ioctl to get a register value though. :)
This is (apparently) the only place in the whole driver where we directly
access a hardware register.  It's the only reason we need to drag in
the (new) radeon_macros.h file, which in turn pulls in a number of other
server-side XFree86 headers.  It would be nice to eliminate that.

If that does prove necessary (and compatibility is a valid reason),
then the next best thing is to use something like the following in
radeon_macros.h:

#ifdef XFree86Module
#include "xf86_ansic.h"
#endif
#include "compiler.h"
That looks good.

It's mostly OK to use compiler.h outside of the X server, but
xf86_ansic.h shouldn't be.

In the r200 driver we print an error and exit if the drmCommandWriteRead()
fails.  I think that should never happen if the kernel module is new enough
to support the query.  I don't know the radeon.o version number which
corresponded to the introduction of the RADEON_LAST_CLEAR/FRAME query.

Which ever solution works out best should be applied to the r128 driver
too.
Done.

-Brian