On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Alan Hourihane wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:02:30PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 22:11, D. Hageman wrote:
> > >
> > > Alan,
> > >
> > > What would you like to see be implemented to help get the job done.  In
> > > other words, what do you need from the DRI team?
> >
> > It takes two to tango so its not just what I need its also what do they
> > need.
> >
> > What I would like to see would be:
> >
> > A single definitive source for the DRM code, one where contributions go
> > back from Linux, from *BSD, from core XFree86 as well as from the DRI
> > project.

I would love to see this as well.  I am not sure that this two tree CVS
devel method is the most efficient.  I am sure it was started for good
reasons, but I think it taxes some time for people like me who try keep
testing the big picture by running both trees in one.

> > The ability to track changes to that with reasons so that we can keep a
> > stable DRM and also the 'DRM of the day' visible to the kernel people -
> > perhaps the devel kernel tree having an option for "Development DRM
> > (XFree86 4.4) (Y/M/N)".

I like that idea ... essentially two copies of DRM in the kernel tree.
One that is visible always as it is considered most stable with the
current release of XFree86 and the running experimental version.
Admittably the compatibility with modules also depends on what version of
XFree86 as you noted above - it sure ... complicates things.  I guess at
some point we have to believe that if you are building your own kernel
that you are reasonably competent to figure that one out.  Not always the
case, but unfortunately it is so hard to check the intelligence sitting
in front of the console with a configuring script. ;-)

> For 'stable DRM' you need to stick with XFree86 4.2.0 and the DRM modules
> that ship with 4.2.0. For 'DRM of the day' use the DRI trunk.

I admit that your logic is sound, but answer me this:  Does one send the
changes back on the stable to the XFree86 team proper or to the DRI team?
The two group devel model gets kinda unwieldy at this point.   Right now
most vendors have to track the individual patches to XFree86 and DRI in
between releases ... and they kinda push the changes back into the code
base where they belong when they can.

Surely we can thing of a better way to do the tango to help everyone out

||  D. Hageman                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  ||