On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Alexander Stohr wrote:

>> > development for the Linux platform has not stopped,
>> > surely not, it is just that there were no releases
>> > in the last two months or so. i have to admit that
>> > there were some problems as for any driver out there,
>> > but none was so fundamental serious that we felt
>> > it needed an instant driver update.
>>
>> I'm wondering - TransGaming sent in some feedback to ATI about these
>> driver's use of the fs register, which conflicts with the Win32
>> threading model, replicated by Wine and WineX (TransGaming WineX is
>> designed to run Windows games on Linux). Do you happen to know the
>> status of this issue?
>
>WineX is clobbering a register that the OpenGL part
>of the driver has already sort of "claimed"?
>Then their software is sort of "broken". ;-)
>
>I have never tried WineX myselves in recent times
>but i am confident that the next ATI Linux driver release
>will address that thing so that this conflict is solved.

As I understand, the fs register is reserved for Wine/Winex
usage, and the gs register is used by newer glibc for libpthread,
and in the latest glibc for thread local storage (TLS), for
threaded applications at least.

Anything else using these registers is going to have problems.
Nothing should be using fs or gs aside from the above.

I've carbon copied Ulrich, Jakub and Arjan in case they'd like to
add comments as well.

Hope this helps.