On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 11:10:02PM -0800, Ian Romanick wrote:
> Jens Owen wrote:
> >
> >  Concern #1:  Acceptance into XFree86, etc.  Creating dependencies on
> >C++ compilers could be a big issue for some of the major projects that
> >utilize our code.
>
> This is probably the biggest issue.  I think if we agree to use a
> reasonable subset of C++, we should have a good chance.  This is
> probably something we should bring up on [EMAIL PROTECTED] sooner rather
> than later.

I don't know, Ian... It will only start a flame where people would step
in to say "how C++ is the holy grail" or "how C++ is evil"... How can it
not be, if people in [EMAIL PROTECTED] have nothing else to base their
opinions? A 3D driver is a complex beast - I myself can't yet picture
how everything detail will fit in the final picture, most people here on
DRI devel can't imagine either just by my descriptions, so how can the
people of [EMAIL PROTECTED] understand the need to use C++ in a 3D driver?

On the other hand, if we manage to write something which is actually
used and yields significant advantages, how can they possibly dismiss
it?

Also I think we should choose the C++ subset used (or in better words,
the C++ programming paradigms used) on a technical basis, and that
alone.

If you want, you can ping opinions on the [EMAIL PROTECTED], but if that
turns into a flame on the C++ language I'll bail out immediately - it's
pointless to argue such things and I'd rather invest that energy in
coding.  I'd really prefer waiting to have something to show.

Finally, there are a few XFree86 developers in this list. I assume that
if they haven't made any comment so far it's because they're also
waiting to see. After all, we all read everyday things like "the killer
app Linux needs is..", "X is deprecated", "why not use
language-I'm-learning-on-my-degree, it's great!", which are completely
detached from reality. This is not what I want.

José Fonseca