MichaelM wrote:
Hi.
I've recently bought an ATI radeon 9100 pro. I've installed, played around with it, and have noticed something strange. Though I can play 3d games such as UT and quake3 with excellent frame-rates, running something like gears will only get me 80 FPS.

What's up with that? I'm currently using Xfree86 4.3.0 (compiled from source). I find it really odd how something as simple as complex as UT runs great, yet little old gears is chugging along slowly...

Do you get any messages like "[drm] failure adding irq handler" when you start the X server?

That would mean that the driver has to fallback to using usleep to throttle framerate (it's important not to let the application get ahead of the hardware), but usleep can't sleep for less than 1/100sec, so you have a low maximum framerate with runaway apps like gears.

Keith