On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 21:48, Keith Whitwell wrote:
> > The final point that I would like to make is that we're going to NEED to
> > load the DRI driver on the server-side at some point in order to support
> > accelerated server-side rendering.  We could then implemented a
> > server-side software-only "DRI" driver.  This driver could then export a
> > wide variety of fbconfigs (16-bit/32-bit/floating-point per channel
> > color for pbuffers) that the underlying hardware doesn't support.
>
> It really shouldn't be that hard.  Against it are:

One thing I never understood was whether the server should do this or
fork off a client which is just another DRI direct render application
that happens to get told to render the GLX commands coming down the
connection from the remote host. I've no real feel for the costs of
doing it that way, or enough experience to know if I'm talking out of
my hat obviously.

Pure server side 3d would be welcome for a lot of the very old hardware
too. Its good enough to run screensavers 8)

Alan