--- Richard F Weber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> So I guess my next questions are: 1) is the 2048x2048 a HW
> >> limitation, or a SW/implementation limitation
> >
> > AFAIK the maximum size of the GL context is a hardware issue.
> However,
> > it shouldn't matter where it is displayed, that is it should work
> on the
> > second head as well (hardware-wise), as long as the height or width
> of
> > the GL window doesn't exceed 2048. If it doesn't work in that
> manner,
> > that's probably because how the driver handles the GL contexts.
>
> I think I mentioned it below, but I found some docs indicating that
> the
> 2048x2048 is a limitation on the viewport to the framebuffer.  But if
>
> that's the case, then I'd expect the mergedfb stuff to have a
> problem.

I haven't been able to test mergedfb with a 3D context of 2048x2048 or
larger since my m6 only has 8 mb of ram.

> >> 2) Since my card is a dual-head, could it/should it be 2048x2048
> per
> >> head, rather than for the whole card?
> >
> > No, that limit is per GL-context afaik.
>
> Well, my next question is how do you indicate that a context should
> be
> offset (ie: Start running at 1280x0 instead of 0x0).  I'd like to
> test
> that first to see if I can get an OpenGL app running full screen on
> my
> second head.

According to Michel Danzer, you may be able to support up to 4096x4096
using two cliprects, see this quote  from another email:

> I think there may be a limitation of a max 3D context of 2048x1536,
so
> that may be the max virtual desktop available, someone with better
> knowledge of the 3D stuff wouldbe better able to answer that.

AFAICT, the fact that the RE_WIDTH_HEIGHT register only takes 11 bits
for
width and height each basically limits us to a virtual resolution of
2048x2048 for 3D rendering. However, RE_TOP_LEFT also takes 11 bits
each, so we might be able to push it to 4096x4096 by using several
cliprects if necessary. There might be other limitations I'm
overlooking
though.