On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 03:16:45PM -0700, Ian Romanick wrote:

| Since I was part of that working group, I'd like to clarify why some of
| those decisions were made.  ...

Apologies if I sounded too critical -- I agree that compromise was a
reasonable thing to do in the VBO case.

|                        ...  In that case it wasn't just Windows
| "issues."  ...

Yes, though the Windows design flaws are real, too.  They affected a lot
of other extension and implementation designs before VBOs came along.

|       ...  The big problem was (and will continue to be) power managment
| events.  ...

The trend is clearly toward making these sorts of things invisible to
apps that don't explicitly ask for notification about them.  For that
matter, the trend is to make even less-dramatic events (like window
exposures) invisible to most apps.

VBOs are something of a special case -- a very low-level interface
intended for use by experts who understand the risks.  If it had been
practical to make mapped buffer objects non-volatile, though, it still
would have been worthwhile.  It would have eliminated some awkward error
conditions that the spec takes pains to handle, and that some developers
will undoubtedly trip over.

Allen