On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 14:57, Jon Smirl wrote:
> --- Eric Anholt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > If the Linux drivers go to probing PCI IDs, could it also start creating
> > /dev/dri/cardXs which are associated with a specific piece of hardware?
> > The get/set unique thing is a problem, though.  It seems to me that we
> > ought to have /dev/dri/cardX start with a unique value reporting
> > sufficient information to identify it.  A new server would do getuniques
> > on the /dev/dri/cardXs until it found one matching the hardware it was
> > trying to use the drm for.  If an old server does a setunique, then it
> > overrides what the kernel had, and at some unspecified time in the
> > future we could deprecate that interface.  This eliminates the need for
> > a separate get_suggested_unique ioctl.
> >
> This was the first way I coded it. But when you specificy a driver name in
> xconfig and no BUSID, xfree uses drmOpenByName(). OpenByName searches the
> drivers for the driver name and a bank unique id, then sets it. Since the only
> driver with the right driver name already has the unique id filled in, Xfree
> fails to load. To fix this you would have to change the existing binaries.

Seems like we need a set-understood-version ioctl.  What I'm imagining
is an ioctl that takes in a DRM interface version and/or card-specific
DRM interface version.  It can then adjust its response to other ioctls
appropriately.  It would return the maximum of those versions that are
understood (which is sort of a duplicate of the current version ioctl,
but the generic DRM interface version is the new part).  There would be
a hook for the card-specific part of the DRM to get this understood
version information, too, which may help in dealing with the radeon
issues that have been discussed.

Does this seem like a good idea?

--
Eric Anholt                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         [EMAIL PROTECTED]