On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 12:41, Jon Smirl wrote:
> --- Eric Anholt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I'm still working on cleaning the PCI ID stuff up to be portable, which
> > I'll commit as soon as I test (I'm trying to get a multihead setup going
> > to see if there are problems with that as Michel Daenzer brought up).
> > Notably, I'm not using pci_ids.h and instead using the values themselves
> > as has been done in the BSD drivers.  I believe I have all the correct
> > PCI IDs, but I'll take another look against your list.  Is there any
> > value in the families enum that's being associated with each pci id?
>
> Right now the drivers have a bunch of ifs/PCI-ID to compute families. Once we
> get the PCI ID thing working we can slowly remove the ifs and switch to the
> family enums. Families are more important for some chips (radeon) than others.
>
> The radeon driver already uses the family enum to tell secondary from primary
> adapters. This is done so that linux PCI utlities will show the Radeon driver
> as owning both devices. GET_SUGGESTED should be modified to return the family
> enum too. Then we could remove the PCI ID's and ifs in the radeon DSO that are
> recomputing the family.  I think it is better to keep the family data in the
> PCI ID table than to scatter it all over the code base via if/PCI-ID.

You're talking about the DRM here?  Because that's all I was looking at,
and I don't see drivers doing cases based on pci id data (checked
radeon/mga, don't remember it happening in the others) as much as being
passed family information from userland.  I'll add a driver private
field to the pci id list struct I was using and set it to NULL in the
lists.  Then we can convert the usage of userland-passed family info to
family info from the kernel.

Is it worth having a separate probe routine just to have the Linux PCI
utilities show the driver as owning the secondary adapter as well?  As
it is, none of the drivers needed a separate probe routine.

> > After that I'll see how hard the versioning ioctl thing would be to try
> > to save us needing to add too many new ioctls for smallish changes like
> > these.
>
> Another idea would be to deprecate SET_UNIQUE/GET_UNIQUE and then recover the
> IOCTL numbers ten years from now.

I really hope that we can come to some agreement on being able to
deprecate DRM features after a certain time span or number of releases
or something.  I think having defined versions will help with that.

--
Eric Anholt                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         [EMAIL PROTECTED]