On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 07:41:48AM +0200, Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 12:28:29PM -0800, Ian Romanick wrote:
> > The problem seems to be with older distros that have libexpat.so.0
> > instead of libexpat.so.1.  People have found that it works if they
> > symlink libexpat.so.0 to libexpat.so.1.
>
> It's not just older distros. Gentoo has libexpat.so.0 also. libexpat is
> version 1.95.7 btw.
>
> Why does the build system link with .1 anyway? Does it have two versions
> of libexpat installed and the linker does this automagically or does the
> distro package add some patch to expat forcing the name to .1? Gentoo's
> expat doesn't seem to have any patches related to this.

The build system is running Debian Unstable:

/usr/lib/libexpat.a
/usr/lib/libexpat.la
/usr/lib/libexpat.so -> libexpat.so.1.0.0
/usr/lib/libexpat.so.0 -> libexpat.so.1
/usr/lib/libexpat.so.1 -> libexpat.so.1.0.0
/usr/lib/libexpat.so.1.0.0

$ dpkg -l 'libexpat*'
un  libexpat-dev    <none>   (no description available)
un  libexpat0-dev   <none>   (no description available)
ii  libexpat1       1.95.6-6 XML parsing C library - runtime library
ii  libexpat1-dev   1.95.6-6 XML parsing C library - development kit

> > Can we just link with libexpat.so instead?
>
> So someone should just relink the build system's libexpat with -soname
> libexpat.so?

The latest binaries should have libexpat statically linked now.

Jose Fonseca