On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 08:41:40AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

|  - GL cannot be the _only_ API, simply because we don't (and may not have
| for some time) GL support on all cards, while still wanting this new console
| stuff so we don't have to keep the old cruft around

Just so long as you aren't creating new APIs that duplicate parts of GL,
or will grow to duplicate parts of GL.  That forces driver developers to
waste effort supporting two similar but not identical low-level APIs,
and causes management problems wherever the two APIs need to share
common resources (e.g. textures or drawing surfaces).

If you're concerned about the size of the full OpenGL API, consider
using a subset (OpenGL ES would be preferred, since it's already small
enough to be supported on cell phones) rather than creating a new API.

Allen