--- Jens Owen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Six years ago, most devices could not handle this type of restriction
> efficiently.  Things have improved on the high end; but the low end
> devices, are still very similar to what we had back in the day.  Even
> today, I would be very cautious of deploying an architecture where no
> devices can be touched from user space.  This will really box many
> driver developers into a corner they can't get out of.  Is that worth it
> for support of graphics pipeline hot plugging?  If you would like to get

It not's the graphics cards that are being hotplugged, it's other cards in the
system. If xfree hasn't coordinated with the kernel, the kernel hotplug code
could easily map the new hardware right on top of the Xfree HW.

> a flavor for the issue I'm writing about, simply unmap the framebuffer
> from your Mesa-solo 3D driver and give it a go.  I think you'll find
> many difficult issues crop up related to software fall backs and
> efficient readback pixel data.

Framebuffer access follows the rules; kernel calls are used to map it into user
space. The major violations in X are in PCI bus and graphics chip probing.

BTW, the mesa-solo radeon driver does not map the framebuffer from the driver or
user space.

=====
Jon Smirl