Lastly, I think it would be useful to have an assembler for vertex
shaders and pixel shaders that does the job similar to those DirectX
functions that translate textual description into coded on (I also believe
that OpenGL 2.0 should have something like this as well).

Doesn't Mesa already support ARB_vertex_program and ARB_fragment_program? I think it would be best to add R300 programs as an additional backend for the already existing infrastructure, though I have no idea how flexible the existing code is - I haven't looked at it in detail.

Yes, you are correct ! I did not know this was implemented already.

Does anyone on the list has any advice on how to use it ?

                     thank you !

                          Vladimir Dergachev

cu, Nicolai