Philipp Klaus Krause wrote:
In that sense, I'd consider NV_vertex_program as bloat just as well.
Applications really always can deal with not available non-standard
extensions very well.

About GL_NV_vertex_program:
1) It was the first nice vertex program interface and is used in many
old tutorials on vertex shading.
2) Currently Mesa layers GL_ARB_vertex_program on top of
GL_NV_vertex_program. A driver that already advertizes
GL_ARB_vertex_program can support GL_NV_vertex_program for free.
Sure, but I hate unneeded driver complexity, even if it's just a single line, so it's not completely free :-).

3) It is a widespread extension, not a Nvidia-specific one: It is
implemented by the i915 driver, the mga driver, the tdfx driver, the
r300 driver, the non-free 3Dlabs drivers and
of course all the Nvidia drivers.
It's not completely limited to nvidia hardware, but it's still a non-standard extension. If you look at commercial drivers (www.delphi3d.net), support is indeed pretty much limited to nvidia hardware, the only other company to support it is 3dlabs - no ATI, no intel, no matrox, nothing. That is quite nvidia-specific if you ask me.

4) I added an option to deactivate it.
Makes the driver even more complex :-).

btw it looks you can't announce ARB_vertex_program on r128. The extension says not only based on OpenGL 1.3, but it requires OpenGL 1.3. Not sure why exactly, there doesn't seem to be anything in the new features of OpenGL 1.3 which seems to be related to vertices (safe maybe multitexturing, or maybe matrix transpose, I didn't study the extension to see if you could do it with 1.2 + multitexture). NV_vertex_program requires only 1.2.1 though.

Roland